Monday, February 14, 2011

We are moving!

We are moving.

We have been walking through an extraordinary process. The process has been prayerful. The process has been painful. The process has been profitable. The process, I have come to realize, is what the process is all about. One of my friends said to me, "Ben, it's not about where you are going, it's about who you are going to be when you get there."

A couple of years ago, I began to sense God stirring my heart concerning change and transition. I wasn't sure if it was personal change, physical change, spiritual change, or what. I waited and prayed. I asked God for clarity. I waited and prayed some more. As I approached the fall of 2009, I was certain the Lord wanted me to pray about any open doors that may come my way, and a fresh door opened with Pastor Rick Sinclair and Christian Fellowship Center in Madrid, NY. I spent a few months pondering the opening. I prayed. I sought counsel and insight from my pastor and other pastors and friends. As I slowly walked through that season, I never had a "yes" in my heart, and I told Pastor Rick no.

2010 came and was a whirlwind of activity and life. Traveling to Guatemala, the discovery that baby #4 was on her way, and the vibrant ministry life of Gallupville Gospel dominated our thoughts and focus early in the year. Deep down I still felt the tug of the Lord towards change. In late summer/early fall, as I was on a run, a clear word came to my heart, "Come follow me." My heart began to beat with anticipation and certainty of the voice of God. Everything I did, wherever I was, I heard the same thing..."Come follow me." I knew the Lord was calling me to a new season and that my season on the team here at Gallupville Gospel Church was coming to a close.

My passion to wholeheartedly obey the voice of God began to drive my heart, and I knew I needed to take action. I needed to take a step of faith and obedience. This was an incredibly delicate and difficult season, navigating the waters of Godly order and lifelong relationships. If not for the grace of the Lord, the incredible honor and graciousness of Pastor Jim Wolford and the Leadership Team here at Gallupville, and the wisdom of Pastor Mike Servello, I may have burned some bridges in my passion. Pastor Servello spoke these words, that still ring in my ears, "Take it slow and steady Ben. Slow and steady wins the race."

In early October, 2010, Pastor Jim, the Leadership and Administrative Teams, and I agreed that January 9, 2011 would be my last day on the Leadership Team here at Gallupville. "Where was I going?" or "What was I going to do?" were two questions that I still didn't have an answer for. I knew God was calling me to come after Him, but where He was leading me was a mystery. I continued to submit to the process. Though doors like Pastor Rick or my brother Derek's church plant were open to us, we really wanted to hear the voice of God and do the will of God.

Anticipating the arrival of baby Giselle and because of the nature of the transitional season we were in, I took a part time job stocking shelves in November to "make ends meet". This was a miracle season for us, learning tremendous lessons of trust and provision. God provided for all our needs, even though the checkbook said it was impossible. We didn't miss a bill. Working at Hannaford was incredible for me, meeting some awesome people, and the hard physical work was refreshing. However, the overnight hours were a bear. I didn't feel I had the energy to hear anyone...my wife, the kids, or the voice of God. I remember Pastor Jim asking me at a meeting if I had any sense of where God was leading me. I was clueless as to the direction. There were a lot of good ideas up to this point, but I wanted the God idea.

It was around January 1st that I had a dream. God spoke to me. I can still hear the words even now. "I will give you your voice in Madrid." Waking up from my dream the Lord spoke to my heart, "I gave you your legs in Gallupville, I'm going to give you your voice in Madrid." I heard from God. It was clear and unmistakable. Several more confirming words and Scripture came to me and I submitted what I was sensing to Pastor Jim. He agreed it was the Lord who was speaking. On Sunday, January 9, my last official day on the team, Pastor Jim shared to the church what the Lord had been speaking to me. He blessed me. He honored me. He humbled me with his love and immensity of heart and vision. He spoke that as a church we "weren't getting smaller, we were getting bigger." He spoke that as a church we were "sowing me into another church and pastor who needed our help." He spoke of a future that was bright and hopeful for all of us. I was blessed. Waiting for the blessing is so much better than bolting with permission.

Over the next few weeks I met with Pastor Rick and elders from CFC. I shared with them my journey, my process, my ups and downs. There was confirmation in the room as they all encouraged me with their words and prayer. In the midst of this time Pastor Jim invited Pastor Rick to come and speak on my final Sunday here at Gallupville Gospel Church on February 27. So here we are. Two more weeks. After 35 years of calling Gallupville my home, He is leading me to a new place, for a new season, and I can only hope, as a new man. Gallupville will always be my home in so many ways. My mom and dad live here. My sister and brother in law live here. My spiritual dad lives here. My best friends are here. My children were born here. My roots are here. My memories, my tears, my laughter are all here. This is all I've known.

Now I step out. A new day. A new adventure.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Wonderfully written, powerful testimony! Thanks for the tears! Love you all, and to say you'll be missed is an understatement! But we wish you nothing but blessings in His will!

Derek said...

Outstanding writing, outstanding person, outstanding story. You are on a journey to your destiny in Christ. The kind Shepherd leads you and your family, and you will say, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wow. What a story! Is it possible for me to be part of your "roots" in Gallupville even though I live in East Greenbush? :) I love you, Ben and Keila, and am so excited for you as you enter this next amazing season in your life. Your life in Gallupville left such incredible fruit - and that fruit will only continue to grow here and in Madrid. We'll miss you a little bit, too...

Colette Wilber said...

What a awesome & amazing God we serve. Though we are all going to miss you & the family way beyound any words can say, we know the Lords work in & through you will be amazing and the church in which you are now going to be leading is going to be blessed.
Thanks for sharring with us!